War against Ukraine
Russia’s aggression against Ukraine represents the biggest military conflict in Europe since the Second World War. CEMR is working to support the Ukrainian people and the country's local and regional governments.
Task Force on Ukraine
CEMR's Members Task Force on Ukraine exchanges on how to address the impact of the war in European territories. The Task Force deals with questions such as: support to Ukrainian municipalities, hosting of refugees fleeing Ukraine, EU sanctions and the consequences for procurement and cooperation with Russian municipalities and the actions of national associations of local and regional governments.
How you can help
There are many ways for municipalities, regions and their associations to support local governments in Ukraine during this difficult time.
- Have your mayors and local or regional elected officials sign CEMR's statement condemning Russia's military action. More information. (also see: list of signatories)
- Get in direct touch with your partners in Ukraine. Ask what specific help they need at this moment. If you do not have partners in Ukraine, contact one of the cities that submitted a plea for help to CEMR, the Committee of the Regions or on the Cities4Cities platform.
- Share information about the urgent needs of Ukrainian municipalities among your local, national and international partners. Encourage them to reach out and send direct and fast aid to them.
- Encourage your citizens through awareness-raising events and social media campaigns to donate funds for humanitarian aid. Individuals can donate to the Ministry of Social Policy of Ukraine or other organisations that work on the ground.
- Support the Association of Ukrainian Cities (AUC) with a charitable donation to help ensure stable AUC statutory activity and assistance to communities. The AUC is collecting information about the urgent needs of municipalities, coordinates volunteers and cooperates with the civil-military administration.
Several CEMR member associations have set up sections of their websites dedicated to Ukraine where you can follow their latest activities. The following is a non-comprehensive list of these sections:
Project Officer - International Partnerships (U-Lead)
Tel : +32 2 842 67 74